I love pizza. I’ll take it in almost any form: frozen, cheap takeout, at a good restaurant, homemade… The only pizza I won’t eat is the microwavable stuff.
It is an amazing coincidence that I now how to bake, and make a killer deep dish pizza. This recipe is actually fool proof and has never failed me. I know that great recipes always come with dramatic back stories, so here’s mine: I wanted to make pizza, picked the first recipe I found, turned it vegan and rolled with it. Lame, right? But there is more to this pizza than just crust, as you’ll find out later.
This deep dish pizza will be moist, fluffy and delicious. No soggy or hard bits, and no crust left uneaten – trust me on this one!
The perfect vegan deep dish pizza
Makes one full tray, approx. 15 squares
3 dl water (lukewarm)
1 bag dry yeast
0.7 dl oil
½ tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
6 dl of flour (not an exact measurement, use as needed)
1 clove of garlic
½ package tomato sauce
Salt, pepper, chili, basil
Red onions, sliced
Sundried tomatoes, sliced + some oil
1. Mix the dry yeast into 1 dl of flour and add the water. Add the other ingredients and knead the dough. You should be kneading for at least 5 minutes. Make sure you’re not adding too much flour – the dough should be sticking together, but remain super soft. Once the dough is ready, cover with a kitchen towel and leave to rise. I keep my dough in an unheated oven. I would recommend you let it rise for at least an hour.
2. While your dough is rising, prep the toppings as instructed. You can do literally any toppings you’d like, I’ve just listed my favorites for inspiration.
3. Make the sauce. Mince the garlic and saute it in a medium hot pan in some oil. Add the tomato sauce, season and let reduce over low-ish heat.
3. Once the dough is ready, turn the oven on to 220 degrees C. Spread the dough onto an oven tray lined with baking paper. Try to stretch out the dough and get it as even as possible. Brush a generous layer of sundried tomato oil on the dough, this should also help with the spreading.
4. Top your pizza with the sauce and all other toppings.
5. Pop the pizza into the oven and cook in the middle rack for around 15-20 minutes. Keep an eye on it!
Hope you enjoy this recipe, let me know if you do! A strong serving recommendation is with some red wine and Netflix 😉